Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My family and the plague

Now that there's the OMG THE PANIC!!!11!! about getting the vaccine, here I have a dilemma. First of all, do I get the vaccine, if there's any available, even though I've (probably - a phrase which here means definitely, despite the lack of official diagnosis) I've already had it.

The answer is, yes. Sure, it's selfish, as I'm probably immune, but it's the only action I can take to protest the current state of affairs.

On the other hand, this post isn't about me, it's about my family and that damned priority list.

My father has had leukemia twice; that means a permanently compromised immune system. He also had a secondary cancer, due to all the post-leukemia / immune suppressing drugs, which resulted in a 10.5 hours journal-worthy surgery and 1000 micro-stitches. My mother has had breast cancer (this past year) and is my dad's primary caregiver. That means, do they fall under the priority list? No. My parents are both over 65.

My parents, other than their problems, are healthy. Sure, it doesn't sound like that could be true, but anyone who knows my parents, knows what I'm talking about.

Now, anyone who has ever said no to my mother, has learned, the hard way -- particularly if it's about the health of my dad. Sure, it took a phone call to her MPP's office, and several phone calls to the health unit, but my mother managed to talk her way into getting the shot -- based on a one time article in the newspaper that listed immuno-compromised as a priority group, but didn't give an age limit. She was even able to get a set time, as the health unit agreed it wouldn't be productive to put my father around a bunch of people. Yay for someone reasonable throughout this crisis.

Not that this does anything for my sister-in-law. Because she's not a hockey player, or super, super rich, she won't be getting the shot any time soon, and I'm sure, in her job, she deals with way more people.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you and your family luck. It is a scary thing. Hopefully suply catches up with demand in both our countries soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stefanie!
    Who knows with the vaccine, as there's so much out there , if you play sports, or are a CEO, but regular people can't get their hands on it. My Doctor was supposed to have it 2-3 weeks ago, so we knew there'd be a shortage then.

    ReplyDelete